Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, My Darling

Dearest Derek,

It's so hard for Nana to believe, but you're going to be one year old tomorrow! It probably seems like a long time to you, and you've already accomplished so much. But to me, it was only yesterday that Papa and I went to the hospital to wait as you were making your entrance into the world.

I don't know why it is called "making your entrance into the world." Maybe it's because people think the world is like a stage with people who are acting a role in a play. Either a comedy (a funny play with lots of jokes and laughing) or a drama (a very serious play with hardly any fun in it). Actors "make an entrance" when they go onto the stage. So, if the world is a stage, and people are actors in the play of life, then we are making our entrance when we are born. Oh, my! Nana got all serious there for a minute.

The other day when I went to see you, you smiled so big. I think you were happy to see Papa and me. We were certainly happy to see you, Derek. We always love to be with you. You held out your arms to me so I would pick you up. My heart melted, as it often does when I see you. Of course, my heart wasn't actually melting, my sweet. It only felt that way because it was all warm and gushy.

After a while, you wanted to have a snack, so I put some Cheerios in a bowl for you. Naturally, you dumped them on the floor. And then you started eating them. Oh, dear. Daria the Great would not approve of that, but your Mama seemed to think it would be okay to observe "the five-second rule." That was only because the floor was very, very clean. The five-second rule is when it is okay to pick up some food from the floor and eat it. With Cheerios, the five-second rule might be all right. With pudding, not so much.

Derek loves to read!
Photo by Chris. All rights reserved.
You love to sit on the floor with a book, turn the pages by yourself, and read to yourself. It is marvelous to see, Derek. It is important to love reading. If you can read, you can find out about just about anything.

You sat on my lap with your book, too, and read to me. You read with so much feeling and excitement. You were cuddled up nice and snug and comfortable. And you gave me a big kiss and a hug. Oh, Derek. You know just how to make me feel loved and special. And, you know, I certainly love you very, very much and think you are the most special little boy.

It has been a spectacular and special year, with lots of "firsts" in it. And tomorrow is your first birthday. How quickly time passes, Derek. So very quickly.

Love you to the moon and beyond,
Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment