Friday, June 21, 2013

A Walk in the Park

Dearest Derek,

Today, you smiled with your whole heart when your Mommie opened the door for me. I knocked on the door, and your dog Shasta barked a warning. Shasta is a good dog! The door opened, and there you were, in her arms. Unless you are sleeping, you are always in her arms when she greets me at the door. On the one hand, I can see you both at the same time that way. On the other hand, I don't know who to hug first. It is a heartwarming problem to have, Derek.

We sat down in the family room. Shasta was sitting next to you, and your eyes lit up so bright as you reached over to her to pet her. She didn't look quite as enthusiastic, but she was very patient. You cooed and spoke "Derek" (that's your own language that only you...and God...understand right now) to her. I think you were telling her that you love her and think she is soft and cuddly.

I want some, Nana.
Photo by Chris.
All rights reserved.
It was a hot day, so your Mommie asked me if I would like some ice tea that she had made. Of course, I said yes! As she served it to me in a frosty glass, you walked over to where I was sitting and reached for it. It was herb tea, so your mom said I could share with you. But you didn't want to share, exactly. No, you did not. I was happy to give you little sips, though, and we worked it out so you got some and I got some. We were both happy, I think. The front of your shirt was pretty wet, though. You like to drink from a glass, but you haven't quite figured out how to swallow a mouth full of liquid. That is why your mom got your sippy cup out for you.

And then we all decided it would be a shame to waste an opportunity to go for a walk on a sparklingly clear, warm, summer day. Your mom slathered you with sunblock lotion, which you wanted very badly to taste, strapped you into your stroller, put on your sunhat, and off we went. Your mom was pushing the stroller, and I was walking Shasta. What a peaceful and happy time we spent together at the park! I hope we can do that again often, Derek, because there is something wonderfully relaxing about a stroll in nature.

Too soon, it was time for your nap. And it was also time for me to go. But I will see you again before you know it. Oh, how I look forward to that!

Much love and lots of kisses,
Nana


No comments:

Post a Comment